Saint Martin de Porres Academy is accepting applications for Teaching Fellow positions. Please read further for details about this employment opportunity.
Saint Martin de Porres Academy opened in September 2005. We are an independent Catholic school located in New Haven, CT close to the Yale University Campus. Our school is tuition free and provides a holistic, college-oriented academic curriculum for underserved children from low-income families. We serve children of all faiths, races and cultures through a 10-hour school day and an 11-month school year. Peace and non-violence education are an integral part of our curriculum. Every student plays an instrument. Experiential learning is what makes us unique.
Teaching Fellow Position
The Teaching Fellow’s primary responsibilities will be as a Student Support Aide in classes with a Master Teacher. All Teaching Fellows will receive comprehensive support and supervision from the Principal and Coaches. Through this unique classroom environment, Teaching Fellows will gain invaluable experience, which at times may include Lead Teaching. Teaching Fellows will receive comprehensive training and support at the start of the academic year in addition to ongoing professional development.
Teaching Fellows coach sports and facilitate arts and service activities in addition to assisting with major areas of school life. While it is recognized that our Teaching Fellows have little or no teaching experience, the entire atmosphere is one of collaboration, support and mutual learning. Specific subject areas are: Math, Science, Religion, History, English Language Arts and Instrumental Music.
- $12,530 AmeriCorps Living Stipend
- Subsidized Housing
- Health Insurance
- AmeriCorps Educational Award of $5,775
- Opportunity to earn a Free Master’s of Education Degree through Extended Service (Fairfield University & Sacred Heart University)
- Teacher Assistance and, at times, Lead Teaching
- Coach sports and coordinate arts and/or service enrichment activities
- Supervise recess, meals and academic hall
- Chaperone field trips
- Attend ongoing professional development and staff meetings
- Support Mission of the school where needed
Submit application and resume to:
Allison Rivera, Academy President